LATEST NEWS

tas news 7sd pageheader 2019

Coronavirus 628x90

Homeless man suffers severe burns

RHH Fabris

A homeless man who accidentally set himself on fire while cooking in Launceston's CBD last night has been airlifted to the Royal Hobart Hospital's burns unit.

The male aged in his 50s was preparing food outside Milton Hall on Frederick Street around 8 o'clock when his clothes caught alight.

Nearby restaurant workers rushed to the man's aid to extinguish the fire before the man was taken to the Launceston General Hospital via ambulance.

He suffered serious lower body burns but police say the injuries are not considered to be life threatening.