A fire that destroyed a unit in Hobart's Rokeby in the early hours of this morning is being treated as suspicious.
The Joseph Street unit wasn't occupied and the cost was $150,000.
A neighbour at the Mission Australia social housing property described the scene to WIN Television.
"The house was totally engulfed and I knew there were gas cyclinders in there so I thought I'll get out of the way."
Meantime, malfunctioning Christmas lights are being blamed for a house fire in Burnie overnight.
$300,000 damage was inflicted on the Ross Street home.
Three people renting the house fled to the backyard after being woken by fire alarms and weren't injured.